What is Ocean Unite?
The ocean is essential to all life on Earth. It provides at least half the oxygen we breathe, it has absorbed a third of our CO2 emissions, and more than 90% of the heat from those emissions. It supports the livelihoods of more than 3 billion people, puts food on our plates, and is a source of inspiration and solace, but the ocean is under threat.
Ocean Unite brings together a diverse group of conservationists, business leaders, philanthropies, and influential individuals who share a common concern: that the ocean and marine life – once thought to be infinite – now face a questionable future. Ocean Unite’s expert team is working to catalyse ocean regeneration by engaging and activating audiences around the world on the importance of the ocean, as well as innovating change and accelerating investment in building ocean health and resilience.
How is Virgin Unite involved?
Ocean Unite was set up in 2015 as a Global Leadership Initiative by Virgin Unite and a group of key partners, united in their commitment to ocean conservation. Ocean Unite is now an independent charity registered in the United States.
Ocean Unite’s Goals
Ocean Unite works to unify and amplify key ocean messages and engage decision-makers through the Ocean Unite Network, to work towards achieving the vision of strongly protecting at least 30% of the Ocean by 2030 through a network of highly protected marine areas and to build ocean resilience. Because the Ocean is Everybody’s Business, they also work with companies to highlight the importance of the ocean and encourage them to invest in ocean resilience and regeneration.
What has Ocean Unite achieved so far?
- Built the Ocean Unite Network, a group of 40 political and business leaders, and social media influencers determined to secure a healthy and vital ocean for the future.
- Launched the Ocean Unite’s #Love30x30 vision – a call to action to safeguard at least 30% of the world’s ocean by 2030 through a network of highly protected marine areas and helped protect over 5 million km2 of ocean.
- As part of the #Love30x30 vision, Ocean Unite works in targeted areas around the world to help drive the designation of marine protected areas, most importantly in the waters around Antarctica and the Caribbean. Ocean Unite also helps drive support for a new international agreement to protect marine life in the High Seas.
- In 2019, Ocean Unite, Oceano Azul Foundation and Oak Foundation partnered up to launch RISE UP – a blue call to action to safeguard the ocean. As of November 2020, over 450 organisations have joined RISE UP, from civil society, fisherfolk, Indigenous Peoples and philanthropic organizations to governments and corporations.
- Ocean Unite is co-host and co-chair of the Ocean Risk and Resilience Action Alliance (ORRAA). ORRAA is a groundbreaking multi-stakeholder coalition that brings together the insurance and finance sectors, governments, non-profits and others to pioneer finance and insurance products that incentivize investment into nature-based solutions.
- Each month, Ocean Unite compiles & distributes The Navigator – a monthly newsletter to the ocean community.
- Ocean Unite has provided policy, communications and strategic campaigning expertise and advice to ocean conservation organizations, individuals entering the space, and the philanthropic community.
- Find out more about Ocean Unite's mission and work.
- We need your help to protect the future of our oceans, support us by donating to Ocean Unite.